Saturday, January 1, 2011

A JOURNEY THROUGH THE GOSPEL OF LUKE: A SINGULARITY OF MISSION


Luke 2:41-49

   Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feat of the Passover.
   And when he was twelve years old, they went up according to custom.
   And when the feast was ended, as they were returning, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem.  His parents did not know it,
   but supposing him to be in the group they went a day's journey, but then they began to search for him among their relatives and acquaintances,
   and when they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, searching for him.
   After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.
   And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers.
   And when his parents saw him, they were astonished.  And his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us so?  Behold, your father and I have been searching for you in great distress."
   And he said to them, "Why were you looking for me?  Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?"

Luke 2:41-49

   From the moment He entered the womb of Mary, and throughout His thirty-three and a half years of living amongst us as one of us Jesus at every moment of that time had a certain hill just outside of the city of Jerusalem on His mind.  That hill was known as "The Hill of the Skull," Mount Calvary.  He came to die so that men may be saved.
   The Christian hymn writer, Charles Wesley spent his whole Christian life simply amazed by this one fact, and he captured this thought in one of his hymns.

And Can It Be that I Should Gain

And can it be that I should gain
an interest in the Savior's blood!
Died he for me? who caused his pain!
For me? who him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
Amazing love! How can it be
that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
2.
'Tis mystery all: th' Immortal dies!
Who can explore his strange design?
In vain the firstborn seraph tries
to sound the depths of love divine.
'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
let angel minds inquire no more.
'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore;
let angel minds inquire no more.
3.
He left his Father's throne above
(so free, so infinite his grace!),
emptied himself of all but love,
and bled for Adam's helpless race.
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
for O my God, it found out me!
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
for O my God, it found out me!
4.
Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
fast bound in sin and nature's night;
thine eye diffused a quickening ray;
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
my chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed thee.
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed thee.
5.
No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in him, is mine;
alive in him, my living Head,
and clothed in righteousness divine,
bold I approach th' eternal throne,
and claim the crown, through Christ my own.
Bold I approach th' eternal throne,
and claim the crown, through Christ my own.



SELAH

   We who have put our trust in the completed work of Jesus Christ for sinners, should at every moment should be amazed by the fact that the Second Person of the Trinity left His throne of glory to live a life of righteousness amongst sinful men, and die on a cruel cross for their sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment