Monday, March 28, 2011

MY NAME

1 Peter 3:15

     but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, (ESV)

1 Peter 3:15


"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Juliet
Romeo & Juliet
Act II Scene II

     If you have received any e-mails from me, or noticed the way I sign most things, when I am able to, I sign my full name. There are reasons that I do. First, I have come to really like the name my parents gave to me at birth. This does not come from any since of egotism, but from the knowledge of what my first and middle name means. Second reason is that I have also found out that I can use my name as a witnessing tool.
     No, one can really fault poor Juliet, in her teenage naivete, did not have thew knowledge that names have meanings. Both my first and last names have Hebrew origins. My first name is really a question, and the last can be seen as the answer to that question. It also can be used to share the Gospel. Let me show you how.
     In the Hebrew, Michael is a question: Who is like God. In Luke chapter eighteen, a rich young ruler comes to Jesus and addresses him as "good master." Jesus' questioned him on why the young man called Him "good", and that only God can really be called "good." Romans chapter three points out that all have sinned against God, and that there are none of us are "good." God is the only one that is perfectly holy and righteous. We have all willingly strayed from God, and need a Savior to atone to God for our sins.
     Now, here is where the answer comes into view. In the Hebrew David means "beloved." In Scripture, who one who is referred to as God's beloved? The answer can be found in Scripture like Matthew 12:15-21:

 Jesus, aware of this, withdrew from there. And many followed him, and he healed them all 16 and ordered them not to make him known. 17 This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah:
 “Behold, my servant whom I have chosen,
my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased.
I will put my Spirit upon him,
and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles.
He will not quarrel or cry aloud,
nor will anyone hear his voice in the streets;
 a bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not quench,
until he brings justice to victory;
and in his name the Gentiles will hope.” (ESV)

     The beloved of God is the Lord Jesus Christ. (c.f. Mat. 3:17, Mark 9:7, Luke 9:35) Jesus is also the one who is like God because He is God, and the One who was sent as the Redeemer of all who would put their trust in His saving work on the cross.
     Romans 1:7 also refers to believers in Christ as "beloved of God." Believers are beloved of God because He identifies them with His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Your servant in Christ
Michael David Hotard

SELAH

     There are many things that we can use when we converse with those around us that can lead into our sharing the Gospel with them. Think about it.
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment